Chris Sugai started his window film tinting business, Solar Art Window Films, as a teenager and grew it steadily into the largest window film tinting business in the LA metro area. He built a successful enough business to work only 20 hours per week focusing mostly “ON” the business’ issues and challenges when they came up. His General Manager ran the $2M per year operation as Chris turned his interest towards his new business, a 29” mountain bike manufacturing company called Niner Bikes.
We provided CEO coaching to Chris from 2006-2011. During this time we helped Chris navigate the transition from preparing one company for sale while implementing effective business processes into the new company.
One critical contribution was helping Chris recruit a top-tier team. We helped him find a bookkeeping company to clean up outdated financial records, an accounting/consulting firm to make significant improvements in the accounting function within the business, a potential buyer and General Manager, and a business broker, who arranged the sale of the window film business.
Meanwhile, we helped develop a business plan to present to bankers and investors andestablish good business practices (e.g., organizational systems and processes) in his new company.
Chris was an original member of the Strategic Growth Forum, a CEO peer group we founded in February 2006, and stayed with the group until it was dissolved in August 2010. During that time, Chris earned an Inc. Magazine 5000 fast-growth company award.
– Motivation to prevent lulls
– Goal-setting and accountability from a peer group and coach
– Improvements required in financial processes and systems in order to transition company
– Better processes required in hiring and key employee management
– Business plan needed to raise funds from banks and investors
– Advice on restructuring financial obligations
– Constructed a vision, mission statement to stay focused during rapid growth
– Helped with employee management systems (hiring process, interviewing process, etc.)
– Benefits from being part of a peer group of CEOs
– Introductions to key advisors (bookkeeper, accountant, business broker)
– Triple-digit growth on annual basis